Are you a smoker thinking about quitting? The Great American Smokeout challenges smokers to quit smoking, just for a day, in hopes that being smoke free for 24 hours will convince them to quit for good. Quitting tobacco is tough, but with support and a distraction, you can get through the cravings and see that it’s possible to live a smoke-free life.
Exercise is a healthy distraction. Run off your cravings and get your heart pumping at Montana Tech’s “Cold Turkey Trot” on Saturday, November 19th starting at 9:00 am at Montana Tech HPER Back Parking Lot.
The event will be a walk/run to help you with your cravings and there will be music, education, and an opportunity to give back to the community before Thanksgiving.
Not a tobacco user? This event is open to anyone and can be an opportunity to burn off those extra calories before Thanksgiving and support smoke-free living in your community. The cost of the event is simply 2 non-perishable food items/person or $5 cash (all of which will be donated to the local food bank.) Pre-registration is online at https://goo.gl/forms/1UhMt6TeCyBqCvDp2 until November 17th at 5:00 pm. Same day registration will occur from 7:30-8:45 am on November 19th behind the HPER.
Here are some tips to get through the Great American Smokeout and beyond:
• Keep your cigarettes and lighters out of sight. Even better, throw them out.
• Wear freshly cleaned clothes and jackets so you don’t smell like cigarette smoke.
• The next time a craving strikes, take a walk or even just take a deep breath. You can also fight cravings by drinking water, eating a healthy snack, squeezing a stress ball, flossing or brushing your teeth. Play a game or chat with a friend and you’ll feel settled soon.
• Think of all you’ll gain when you quit! Including the confidence that you accomplished something incredibly tough, money that you used to spend on cigarettes, better health and the pride and admiration from your family and friends.
• Get additional help with quitting tobacco by visiting www.UCanQuit2.org. The website offers a live chat with a cessation coach, an interactive quit plan – Ready2Quit – and a support locator to find classes and counseling near you. For daily messages of support and advice at your fingertips, try the SmokefreeMIL text-message support program to help you get ready and get through the weeks after you quit.
For more information about the Cold Turkey Trot, please contact Spencer Hale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you help cut the cravings before Thanksgiving, while at the same time giving back to our community through food donations!